Tuesday, December 8, 2009

On the First Day of Christmas...

My chapter critiques gave to me, a sense of pride wrapped in an cloak of uncertainty.

My first critique is finished and I am surprised at how much a little spit and shine followed by a bit of polishing can turn something so "blah" into something "wow". I read the chapter through once and found so many things wrong with it. There were horrible spelling errors, terrible grammar and an abundance of awkwardness. The entire time I corrected it I felt like I was wasting my time, like if this chapter is any indication of my writing skill then I might as well give up my pen and uninstall my word document; however, once I finished I put my computer away and picked the chapter up the following morning. I was about to print the it out to give it to my editor when I decided to read it over one more time, aloud. I was pleasantly surprised with what I heard. Most of it sounded really nice and the parts that didn't I simply edited, making my overall feel of the chapter wonderful. I don't even care that I had to rewrite it because I know that the way it is now is better than any other version of it I've done. It's nice to get a vote of confidence from yourself, after all we're our toughest critics.

Today was nice, it snowed in the hills leaving them a beautiful shimmery white. The air was very crisp and cold and the smell of burning firewood wafted through the sky while I stared at them. It was a nice way to see that winter is almost here. It's too bad that feeling didn't last long. I had a bit of a tussle with my printer today. Since I updated my system to Windows 7 it's decided not to allow me to print anything, which is sad since this is the only problem I've had with the new system. Oh well, I'll just have to print them from another computer.

Well I'm going to head of to bed probably, but I'll try and edit the next chapter tomorrow, or rather later today, so that I can hopefully get them ready before Christmas. Night, or Morning depending on how you look at it.

2 comments:

  1. "Posted by Dane M. Mendonca at 3:31 AM" !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it was late, or early, but I didn't have time to sit down and just post until then. Besides I think I'm normally more awake at night, plus it helps that I had about a two hour nap during the day.

    ReplyDelete